Lisa is one of the few attorneys in the country with extensive experience in the formation, grant application and certification of de novo and Community Development Financial Institutions.
With her comprehensive understanding of financial services, Lisa knows precisely how to successfully structure, negotiate and document commercial loan transactions and workouts. Her extensive experience in the lending industry enables her to design practical and creative solutions for financial institutions in response to today's regulatory, compliance and economic challenges.
Prior to joining the firm, Lisa served as Assistant Vice President and Senior Counsel at AmTrust Bank in its Commercial and Construction Loan Division. At AmTrust, she was responsible for advising management on the bank's assets in locations nationwide, including Illinois, Florida, Michigan and Nevada.
Lisa represents borrowers, depository financial institutions and non-bank lenders with regard to the SBA 7(a) and 504 loan programs, as well as other government loan programs including the USDA and the Ohio Development Services Agency. Her experience also includes forming one of the first non-profit corporations dedicated to providing and improving the quality of child care available to low income families. The corporation, for which Lisa served as general counsel, was initially funded by grants from municipalities and private foundations, and received national attention with plans to establish similar entities throughout the country.
Sharing her knowledge of community development issues, regulatory and compliance matters, the New Markets Tax Credit program, and alternative financing options, Lisa often presents to bank associations, regulatory agencies, and non-profit groups.
when skill matters
- Represents JobsOhio in connection with its Revitalization and Growth Fund Loan Programs.
- Project attorney for County Demolition Bond Program; provided advice regarding the structure of the Program, issuance and tax-exemption of bonds; drafted legislation and Program guidelines; negotiated and prepared contracts between County and Land Bank and municipalities in connection with the Program.
- Represented major tenant in final phase of rehabilitation of historic property financed through federal and state historic tax credits and federal and state NMTCs.
- Project attorney for housing authority in NSP II financing and bond financing for development of multiple low-income senior housing projects.
- Represented developers and Community Development Entities (CDEs) in New Markets Tax Credit applications.
- Represented community bank in innovative bridge loan program for emerging technologies entities receiving loans from the Ohio Department of Development Innovative Loan Fund.
- Represented non-profit in development of a first-impression facility for autistic adults, including corporate, transactions and financing matters.
- Represented lenders in negotiating, structuring and documenting credit facilities in mergers, troubled-debt restructurings and workouts.
- Assisted profit and non-profit financial institutions, minority owned and depository institutions in applications for certification as Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs).
- Represented lender in the development of affordable housing projects involving participation in the Federal Home Loan Bank (FHLB) Affordable Housing Subsidy Grant Program.
- Represented lender in deed in lieu of foreclosure transaction concerning shopping center.
- Represented owner of large commercial and mixed-use developments in a vertical subdivision and commercial condominium conversion project.
- Represented borrower in purchasing and financing commercial investment property in 1031 exchange.
- Represented founders of community de novo institutions in initial charters and regulatory applications, and assisted the institutions and their affiliates with community development projects, real estate transactions, commercial loans, regulatory and compliance matters, outsourcing and bank policies.
- Oversaw the establishment of project of first impression in which a community bank partnered with a large money center financial institution, creating over 100 new jobs.
- Served as lead counsel for a new bank branch funded by Tax Increment Financing (TIF) investments and grants from public and private entities.
- Served as lead counsel for new condominium developments in Chicago’s South Loop and Uptown neighborhoods.
distinctions + awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers - Banking Law
- AV-Preeminent Rated (Martindale-Hubbell)
articles + presentations
- Lender and Title Agent Best Practices in Real Estate Transactions and Closings (Panelist, 24th Annual Bradley J. Schaeffer Real Property Institute, Ohio State Bar Association, December 2016)
- General Contract Clauses: Cumulative Remedies in Ohio (Contributing Author, Practical Law, Ohio Commercial Transactions, 2016)
- Financing Options: Well, You Do Have Alternatives! (Co-Author, Properties Magazine, March 2015)
- The Ambiguity Continues: What does the Red Flag Program Clarification Act of 2010 Clarify? (Author, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, January 2012)
- HFLA of Northeast Ohio - Board of Directors, President; Executive Vice President; Former Vice President, Lending
- Jewish Community Federation - Bridge to the Future Task Force
- NCJW - Life Member
- Metro Chicago Information Center - Former Board of Directors
- The Northern Trust Company - Former Board of Directors, Advisory Board of the Chicago South Financial Center
- The Woodstock Institute - Former Board of Directors
- American Bar Association - Affordable Housing Section; Community Development Section; Business Law Section
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association - Business and Financial Services Committee
- Turnaround Management Association