John takes on the legal challenges so clients can take them off their minds.
His extensive experience includes handling a wide variety of financial institution and commercial matters in state and federal courts, including bankruptcy and probate courts. As Of Counsel to the firm, John assists clients in:
- Business Litigation
- Corporate Matters
- Fiduciary Law
- First Amendment Matters
- Insurance Coverage
- Probate Matters and Litigation
- Real Estate Transactions and Litigation
John frequently lectures and writes on ethics and the unauthorized practice of law and advises lawyer-clients on ethics matters.
when skill matters
- Stopped the operation of a national "trust mill" in Ohio as the unauthorized practice of law.
- Represented insureds in successfully obtaining defense coverage determinations in federal district court and Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Defended a major regional bank’s trust administration practices, obtaining a unanimous reversal of an adverse judgment in the Ohio Supreme Court.
- Successfully resolved trust administration cases through removal and surcharge judgments by both trial and settlement.
- Obtained favorable rulings and settlements in shareholders dispute cases and cases involving licenses and patents.
- Prevailed in the defense of many lender liability suits in state and federal courts.
distinctions + awards
- Top Rated Lawyers - Trusts and Estates Law
- AV-Preeminent Rated (Martindale-Hubbell)
articles + presentations
- Malpractice or Misconduct: "Owning Up" to Mistakes May Make the Difference and Save Your License (Author, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal)
- At Issue: "Independence for Paralegals" (Author, ABA Journal)
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association - Ethics and Professionalism Committee, Past-Chair; Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee, Past-Chair; Character and Fitness Committee; Grievance Committee