As financial transactions carry deeper implications for lenders, investors and borrowers, clients look to Jeff for clear and incisive legal guidance.
Jeff represents debtors, banks, bondholders, investors, receivers, commercial landlords, unsecured creditors' committees and asset purchasers in state and federal proceedings, receiverships, and out-of-court restructurings. He has experience in tax enhanced finance, health care, construction, manufacturing, and the automotive industry.
For more than ten years, Jeff served as an adjunct professor of law at Case Western Reserve University School of Law. He is included among Ohio's Super Lawyers and is recognized among the Best Lawyers in America®.
when skill matters
- Representation of tax credit investors in numerous state and federal proceedings and out-of-court negotiations to address developer defaults.
- Trustee's counsel in adversary proceedings arising from the Chapter 7 proceedings of a consumer debt purchaser and servicer with operations in all 50 states.
- Receiver's counsel in a federal court receivership in Chicago involving a debtor with manufacturing operations in the United States, China, and Scotland.
- Debtors' counsel for an outpatient imaging center operating 24 centers in Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Florida, and Pennsylvania, in Chapter 11 reorganization in the Northern District of Ohio.
- Bondholders' counsel in bankruptcy reorganizations of continuous care facilities.
- Lenders' counsel in bankruptcy case of ambulance operator.
- Debtors' counsel for an insurance holding company with six subsidiaries, in Chapter 11 proceedings in the Southern District of New York.
- Counsel to agent bank in automotive parts supplier's Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, in the Eastern District of Michigan.
- Represented an international financial institution in a loan workout for an oil and gas operator with 265 operating wells in two states.
distinctions + awards
- Best Lawyers in America® - Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Ohio Super Lawyers - Business Bankruptcy
- AV Preeminent Rated - Martindale-Hubbell
articles + presentations
- Tax Credit Enhanced Project Finance: Strategies to Minimize Recapture Risk (Author, Bloomberg BNA, Daily Tax Report, June 2014)
- Defending Against Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claims in Bankruptcy (Author, Business Torts Journal, Vol. 19 No. 2, Winter 2012)
- Cooking the Books: Manipulating Financial Statements (Presenter, Northeast Ohio Treasury Managers Association, September 2011)
- Greater Cleveland Volunteers - Board of Trustees
- Trinity Episcopal Cathedral of Cleveland - Treasurer
- Cleveland International Film Festival - Former Director
- The Risk Management Association
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association - Committee on Receivership Rules, Chair; Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section, Former Chair