Liz's dual certifications in employment law offers employers a deeper level of expertise.
As the dynamics and challenges of labor and employment matters increase, employers benefit from Liz's dual specializations in Labor & Employment Law and in Workers' Compensation Law. She counsels employers and management in every aspect of employment law, including termination, handbook preparation, discrimination and wrongful discharge claims, wage and hour compliance, intentional tort, restrictive covenants, harassment, training and investigation, record-keeping compliance, drug-free workplace, Davis-Bacon compliance, OSHA, Medicare Set-Asides, labor grievances, as well as FMLA and ADA compliance matters.
Liz is also responsible for the oversight and management of workers' compensation matters on behalf of employers. She handles administrative hearings involving compensability, disability, occupational disease, wage issues, VSSRs, and permanent total disability. She also advises employers in non-compliance resolution and reinstatement of coverage.
Being the first woman attorney in Ohio to distinguish herself with dual specialization certifications, Liz's passion for providing clients the best possible solutions in labor and employment matters is evident. She is a speaker on workplace conduct and regularly authors articles for the business and legal community on compliance with state and federal workplace requirements.
when skill matters
- Prepared Amicus Curiae brief on behalf of non-profit organizations on workplace intentional torts and interpretation of "guarding" in electrocution case, ultimately resulting in employer defense verdict.
- Successfully negotiated five year collective bargaining agreement for local manufacturing facility.
- Assisted large municipality for over ten years with workplace compliance issues affecting over 35 separate labor unions, including counseling labor relations managers with disciplinary procedures that would avoid grievance and unfair labor practice charges.
- Counseled various large manufacturing facilities on CBA compliance and recommendations for contract negotiations.
- Regularly conducts on-site HR audits for record-keeping compliance, property form utilization, postings and policies.
- Successfully settled multiple long-term workers’ compensation matters with Medicare protection issues and establishment of WCMSAs and structured payouts.
- Successfully defended Ohio plastics manufacturer in allegation of workplace safety violation involving amputation of multiple fingers.
- Assisted Ohio manufacturing facility with renegotiation of its labor contract, resulting in a five year contract and dismissal of pending unfair labor practices against company.
- Prepared Amicus Curiae brief on behalf of non-profit organization concerning the rebuttable presumption in workers' compensation matters.
- Regularly conducts on-site harassment training and other workshops relating to management compliance.
- Assisted local foundry in compliance with WARN resulting from 2007 mass lay-offs.
- Successfully eliminated OSHA fines and citations assessed against a concrete company involving safety gears on a mixer.
- Mediated numerous employment disputes before the EEOC, in connection with litigation and with private mediators.
- Defended multiple employers on both sides of non-compete agreements.
- Represented clients in investigations involving wage and hour disputes.
- Defended clients before the NLRB on unfair labor practices charges.
- Handled well in excess of 5,000 workers’ compensation hearings including VSSR, handicap reimbursement, rate challenges, fraud, permanent total disability, and occupational exposure.
- Handled innumerable unemployment compensation hearings, through common pleas court.
- Prepared numerous employment agreements including nondisclosure, noncompete, non-solicitation and severance.
- Audited multiple handbooks and record keeping policies and practices for employers.
distinctions + awards
- Top 25 Women Lawyers in Cleveland - Super Lawyers
- Top 50 Women Lawyers in Ohio - Super Lawyers
- Ohio Super Lawyers - Labor & Employment Law
- Top Rated Lawyers - Labor & Employment Law
- AV Preeminent Rated - Martindale-Hubbell
- Certified Specialist in Labor and Employment Law - Ohio State Bar Association's Specialty Board
- Certified Specialist in Workers' Compensation Law - Ohio State Bar Association’s Specialty Board
articles + presentations
- Top Ten Ways to Prevent Unethical Behavior at Your Business (Presenter, Small Business Symposium at Lakeland Community College, June 2015)
- Securing Workplace Information - What You Need To Know (Co-Presenter, Fall Information Security Summit, October 2014)
- The Rules of Engagement...Compliance Strategies for Hiring, Firing and Maintaining an Effective Workforce (Presenter, COSE Small Business Convention, October 2014)
- Workers' Compensation from A to Z (Presenter, National Business Institute, June 2014)
- Employee Documentation, Discipline and Discharge (Presenter, National Business Institute, May 2014)
- Hiring and Firing Best Practices (Presenter, Willoughby Western Lake County Chamber of Commerce, March 2014)
- A Practical Guide to Workers' Compensation (Presenter, Sterling Education, December 2013)
- Your Top Workers' Compensation Questions Answered (Presenter, National Business Institute, December 2013)
- Hiring & Terminating (Presenter, Sterling Education, November 2013)
- Hot Topics in Labor & Employment Law (Presenter, Sterling Education, October 2013)
- Workplace Investigations (Presenter, Lorman Education, October 2013)
- Psychiatric Allowances in Workers' Compensation Cases (Co-Presenter, ShopTalk, October 2013)
- Employment Law Beyond the Basics (Presenter, Sterling Education, August 2013)
- United Way of Greater Cleveland - Human Resources Committee
- Extended Housing - Human Resources Committee
- The Council of Smaller Enterprises (COSE) - Advocacy Committee
- Lakewood Junior Women's Club - Former President
- Lakewood City Planning Commission - Former Chair
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association Board of Examiners for Specialization In Workers' Compensation - Section Member
- Ohio State Bar Association Labor & Employment Section - Council Member
- The Cleveland Employment American Inn of Court - Master of the Bench
- Women Presidents' Organization, Cleveland Chapter - Charter Member