Credibility can be the difference between a favorable result or unwanted consequences.
Carol looks at an issue from all sides to evaluate the risks and structure a practical approach to meet the needs and goals of her clients. A Board Certified Specialist in Labor & Employment Law, Carol provides counsel on employment, risk management and insurance matters, and represents clients in trial and on appeal in matters involving:
- Employment Issues
- Insurance Coverage
- Professional Liability
- Agent Liability
In addition to maintaining an active law practice, Carol manages the Firm's Cleveland office in her capacity as Partner-in-Charge.
when skill matters
- Represent and counsel clients responding to charges of discrimination, retaliation and harassment, including internal and external investigations, EEOC response and defense in court.
- Counsel employers on termination issues including analyzing employment contracts, drafting severance agreements, negotiating separation arrangements and defending clients in court regarding allegations of wrongful termination, discrimination and retaliation.
- Assist employers in maintaining compliance laws including, HIPAA compliance, employee handbooks and policies and procedures, and provide counsel on FCRA/background checks, addressing requests for leave and accommodations, employee classifications and responding to employee issues.
- Being hired after an insurance agent gave a damaging deposition, obtained a complete dismissal of the agent by showing through briefing of a complex coverage issue that the requested endorsement would not have provided coverage for the catastrophic damages alleged.
- In a case involving an under-performing variable life insurance policy, obtained a defense judgment for an insurance agent against multiple claims, including fraud, negligent misrepresentation and breach of contract.
- After a week-long trial in Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas, obtained jury verdict for a policyholder amounting to twice the last offer made by the insurance carrier. Through post-verdict briefing, obtained a judgment for the policyholder against the insurance carrier that resulted in a payment to the policyholder exceeding the policy limits by 50%.
- Obtained judgments and successfully defended through appeal matters involving insurance coverage, legal malpractice, agent liability and premises liability.
- Certified Specialist in Labor and Employment Law - Ohio State Bar Association Specialty Board
articles + presentations
- Ohio Confidentiality Agreement: Non-Solicitation Clause Standard Document (Contributing Author, Practical Law, Ohio Commercial Transactions, 2016)
- Insurer, Adjuster, Agent & Broker Liability: A-Z (Presenter, NBI, August 2016)
- Workplace Handbooks and Agreements to Minimize Claims (Presenter, Ohio State Bar Association, April 2016)
- Ethics in Negotiations (Author, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, December 2015)
- Ethics in Negotiations (Presenter, CACTA, November 2015)
- Time to Review Employee Handbooks and Policies (Presenter, Buckley King's ShopTalk!, December 2014)
- Are You Sure You're Covered? (Presenter, Buckley King's ShopTalk!, May 2014)
- Questioning Employer Intentional Torts (Presenter, Buckley King's ShopTalk!, August 2013)
- The Keys to Civil Trial Preparation (Presenter, Ohio State Bar Association, October 2012)
- TEOTWAWKI (Author, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, September 2012)
- Circle Health Services (fka The Free Medical Clinic of Greater Cleveland) - Board of Trustees, Immediate Past Chair
- Civic Leadership Institute - Cleveland Leadership Center (Class of 2009)
- Ohio State Bar Association - Insurance Law Committee; Labor and Employment Committee
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association - Ethics and Professionalism Committee; Insurance Committee; Labor and Employment Committee; Mental Health and Wellness Committee