Being practical and a realist, a visionary and idealist, Brent's thought-leadership offers a competitive edge.
While fully engaged as Managing Partner of Buckley King, Brent maintains an active practice counseling and representing financial institutions, private equity firms, lenders, businesses and executive management in corporate and business issues, complex and structured finance, workouts, asset-based lending and commercial litigation matters. He is nationally recognized for excellence in both corporate law and commercial litigation, including being named among the prestigious "Legal Who's Who" as one of the nation's top attorneys for high-stakes litigation, Best Lawyers in America®, "Top 50 Lawyers in Cleveland," "Top 100 Lawyers in Ohio," and to Super Lawyers.
Brent combines business sense and trial experience to make a distinctive impact whether at the closing table or in the courtroom. He is renowned for giving practical advice, developing creative strategies and effective solutions in matters involving:
- Business + Commercial Law
- Corporate + Transactions
- Finance (Debt + Equity)
- Corporate Governance
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Corporate + Internal Investigations
- Commercial Litigation
- Complex Litigation
- Banking + Finance Litigation
- Lender Liability
- Professional Liability, D+O/E+O
in commercial litigation, business judgment + courtroom experience are vital
Brent is regularly retained in matters involving "bet the company" litigation, multi-district litigation, class actions and business disputes, and has successfully defended directors and officers in matters involving professional liability.
Brent is active on community, professional and civic boards serving in leadership roles for many non-profit organizations. He is often sought to speak to the legal community and business organizations on commercial litigation issues, cybersecurity, business and governance matters.
when skill matters
- Represents large and regional banks in corporate investigations and matters of first impression including banking crimes, lender liability, lender misconduct, business torts, claims of wrongdoing involving directors, officers and employees, and UCC matters.
- Represents banks and businesses in coordination with federal law enforcement and secret federal grand juries involving money laundering, white collar crimes, embezzlement, fraud, SARs, Patriot Act, RICO, wire fraud, Financial Anti-Terrorist Act, FinCEN and BSA matters.
- Defend class actions and MDL, most recently on behalf of a multi-national bank victimized in alleged Ponzi scheme involving banks across the country, financing of securitized transactions with actual losses nearing $500 million.
- Represented a medical implant device manufacturer in major insurance coverage dispute as well as in related multidistrict litigation resulting in a significant eight-digit settlement with the insurance company, and the eventual resolution of the MDL.
- Defense verdict for one of the world's largest insurance companies in action against insurance companies, closely-held corporation and shareholder/family members for millions of dollars involving split-dollar agreements.
- Represents/defends directors and officers of closely-held and publicly-traded companies, attorneys, law firms and accounting firms in matters involving corporate conduct, competition, business judgment, tort claims and white collar crimes.
- Defense of one of the country's top universities in state and federal courts in high-risk litigation proceedings involving wrongful deaths, confidential circumstances, hazing incidents, tenure, demotion and discrimination.
- Successfully defended, in trial and appellate courts, bank and mezzanine lender against allegations of fraud, breach of fiduciary duties, civil conspiracy and fraudulent transfer.
- Represented national banks in investigations and litigation involving white collar international scam operations by crime syndicates reaching across the U.S. and other countries, including terrorist funding with wrongdoers being extradited to the United States.
- Defended one of the world's largest insurance companies in corporate and criminal investigations, successfully resolved 60 lawsuits involving the largest embezzlement/defalcation in company history (at that time).
- Defended mass tort involving thousands of plaintiffs, physicians practices, endoscopy products and allegations of Hepatitis C.
- Represented and defended pharmaceutical manufacturers in first cases involving phenylpropanolamine.
- Counsel in management-led buyout of subsidiary of an international company in acquisition and complex financing.
- Represented national bank in series of loan portfolio sales aggregating hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Represented lenders in the negotiation and structuring of multi-million dollar credit facilities to corporations and subsidiaries or affiliates, including B2B company and Asian subsidiary engaged in the design, custom manufacturing and worldwide distribution of products used in footwear, military equipment, medical applications and sporting goods, secured by assets including aircraft, real estate and intellectual property.
- Represented lender in the restructuring syndicated credit facility, including municipal bonds and letters of credit to non-profit organization providing senior living facilities.
distinctions + awards
articles + presentations
- General Contract Clauses: Equitable Remedies in Ohio (Contributing Author, Practical Law, Ohio Commercial Transactions, 2016)
- Corporate Political Activity: Are You and Your Company - Or Your Clients - RNC Ready? Parts I and II (Program Chair/Moderator, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, June 2016)
- True Reagan: What Made Him Great and Why It Matters, A presentation by James Rosebush (Program Chair, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, June 2016)
- Cybersecurity: Breach Response (Presenter, Lake County Bar Association, July 2015)
- Financing Options: Well, You Do Have Alternatives! (Co-Author, Properties Magazine, March 2015)
- Cybersecurity: Investigation-Prosecution-Prevention (Presenter, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, December 2014)
- Information Governance: What Every D&O Needs to Know (Author, Crain's Cleveland Business, November 2014)
- Corporate Responsibility of Data Privacy, Protection: Proper Planning Can Safeguard Against Damage From Network Security Breaches (Author, Properties Magazine, November 2014)
- Cybersecurity Strategies That Every Business, Director and Officer Needs to Know (Presenter, Mid-Market Business and Technology Conference, July 2014)
- M&A Strategies: 10 Ways to Enhance Value for the Day you Sell (Presenter, "Profitable Growth...Doing it Better," The Presidents' Forum of Cleveland, June 2013)
- Navigating the D&O Coverage Maze in an Era of Increased Scrutiny (Presenter, Association of Corporate Counsel, Northeast Ohio Chapter, March 2013)
- Independent Advice is Critical Anytime Internal Roles are Unclear (Author, Counsel to Counsel, 2012)
- American Heart Association
- Attorneys With Heart Campaign, Chair (2016-17)
- Cleveland Institute of Music
- Board of Trustees, Vice Chair; Audit Committee; Governance Committee, Chair
- Cleveland State University Cleveland-Marshall College of Law
- Board of Visitors, Vice Chair
- Law School Dean Search Committee
- College Now Greater Cleveland
- Board of Directors, Secretary
- First Tee • Cleveland
- Greater Cleveland Film Commission
- Board of Directors, Vice Chair; Governance Committee, Chair; Executive Committee
- Greater Cleveland Sports Commission
- Lake Erie College
- Lakeland Foundation
- Prevent Blindness Northeast Ohio
- St. Vincent Charity Medical Center
- Board of Directors, Secretary; Governance Committee, Chair
former board participation
- Cleveland Botanical Gardens
- The Cleveland Cultural Gardens Federation
- The Cleveland Leadership Center/Leadership Cleveland
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Foundation
- Cleveland Zoological Society
- Cuyahoga County Transition Advisory Group
- Greater Cleveland Roundtable
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of Northeast Ohio
- The City Club of Cleveland
- The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
- United Way of Lake County
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Board of Trustees; Business, Banking & Corporate Counsel Section, Chair
- Judicial Conference of the Eighth Judicial District - Life Member
- Judge John M. Manos Inn of Court
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Corporate + Transactions
- Mergers + Acquisitions
- Commercial + Business Litigation
- Corporate Investigations + White Collar Crime
- E+O, D+O + Professional Liability
- Commercial Finance, Banking + Lending
- Class Action + MDL + Mass Tort
- Non-Profit Organizations